Christmas With Kmart
The holidays are a time for family, and the centerpiece of my family’s merriment is the Christmas tree. We gather around it with our cups of hot chocolate (or hot toddies!) to enjoy its light all season long, and, of course, it’s as busy as Santa’s workshop for our gift exchange on Christmas morning. I’m a true believer that there’s more to beauty than what meets the eye – and the same can be said about your how you decorate your Christmas tree and home. The way you spice up your spruce can tell you a lot about your personality. This fun guide will help you find Tannenbaum trimmings that match your holiday persona with six gorgeous Jaclyn Smith collections I’ve helped design for Kmart, plus amazing tips to help you decorate like a pro and carry the theme throughout your home for a flawless, festive look.
FIND YOUR HOLIDAY PERSONA
The first step to decorating like a pro this holiday season is choosing your style and colors. Are you classic? Chic? Do you like a little flare? First, assess your year-round décor and use your holiday decorations to complement the room. For instance, if your furniture is neutral in color and pattern, pick bold holiday colors that will really POP! If your room is already colorful you can avoid an overly busy look by picking decorations that are more natural.
- Christmas Tidings: Classic and rustic themes, with colors such as crimson reds, deep burgundies, pale ivories, and dark greens. Your style focuses on traditional and warm, reminiscent of a family farmhouse, complete with mugs of hot cocoa, warm slippers and tasty gingerbread houses. Baby, it’s cold outside, but it’s cozy around your Christmas tree with the Christmas Tidings Collection.
- Midnight Clear: Natural, yet mysterious with icy, cool blues and silvers. Laced with birch wood grain, fur and velvet, as well as ornaments based on the regal creatures that inhabit the woodlands, like the fox and owl. If you’re dreaming of a white Christmas with natural wood and blue accents, you’ll love the Midnight Clear Collection.
- Winter Wishes: Romantic and whimsical, like a secret garden in purple and pink hues. Ornaments themed after lush botanicals, birds and butterflies in vibrant colors. For the romantic looking to add a modern twist to their holiday décor. If bright colors, fantasy and whimsy are a few of your favorite things, create your storybook Christmas with the Winter Wishes Collection.
- Golden Radiance: Rustic and sophisticated Lodge Chic. Metallic coppers, warm golds, with accents of steel blue and brown shine bright and spread warm light. Looking to elevate your Christmas to an opulent elegance? You’ll be hanging a shining star from EVERY bough with the Golden Radiance Collection.
- Glimmer & Glisten: Vintage glamour with an old-world charm. Soft golds and champagnes are accented with pastel pinks to create a theme of Victorian Luster. Like an old-fashioned toy chest that nods to the innocence of a bygone era with fun plush teddy bears and rocking horses. If your ideal Christmas is like a picture print by Currier and Ives, the Glimmer & Glisten Collection is perfect for your classic Christmas.
- Homestead Holiday: Simple and sophisticated, a modern take on the classic farmhouse style. Swap out the traditional reds and greens for black and white, a wintery theme with patterns of birch wood and buffalo check for a clean and cozy ambiance. If your desire is for a Yule that’s cool, then the Homestead Holiday Collection is for you.
Although these collections have been designed to coordinate in with each other, they can also enhance your treasured collections. Remember that including your personal holiday keepsakes and traditions will always be in style. The rules of design are forgiving when it comes to creating a warm and inviting environment that makes you, your family, and your guests feel at home and in the holiday spirit. Have fun, get creative, and enjoy making memories. All holiday Jaclyn Smith Collections are shoppable for you to achieve the look you’re going for – visit your local Kmart store or shop online at Kmart.com.
PICKING AND PUTTING UP THE PERFECT TREE
Decorating the Christmas tree is a tradition that’s unique for every family. Whether you hand-pick a real tree or prefer to go artificial, here are some tips to ensure your tree shines bright at the heart of your family’s holiday:
- Trim Up The Tree: If your tree is artificial, fluff those branches! Fan them out like a peacock’s tail. I suggest shaping the branches vertically upward as much as possible to give the tree its full appearance. For natural trees, don’t be afraid to trim excess length from branches.
- Light It Up: Start with the lights to lay a foundation. When working with a pre-lit tree, try plugging it in while you’re fanning the branches to help perfectly space the lights of your masterpiece. When using strand lights, start with the top down, working in sections rather than around the tree. Work the lights in towards the trunk as well as the outside. Secure the strands by sticking the branches in between the two wires on the strand. And don’t be skimpy! The more, the merrier.
- Go for the Garland: Just like with lights, it’s much easier to start from the top. Instead of working in sections, circle your tree until your reach the bottom. If you’re more of a traditionalist, go with something classic like ribbon, or get the kids together to string popcorn, cranberries or even candy canes. If you like a little more glitz, use beads or tinsel garland for that extra shine. Step back and adjust as needed.
- Decks the Halls: Now that you have a gorgeous base of lights and garland, it’s time for the ornaments. You can decorate to a theme or use your eclectic collection to create your own style. No matter your aesthetic, I always suggest including those meaningful and family heirloom ornaments to really make it your own. There’s no set tree-to-ornament ratio, so just do what feels right to you!
- Now Top It Off: No tree is complete without the proper topper. There’s a wide variety to choose from – some like the traditional star or angel, but there are more modern options like owls or crowns. If you can’t decide, consider an oversized bow with ribbon that cascades down the tree.
CARRY YOUR THEME THROUGHOUT YOUR HOME
Now that the tree is done, what’s next? Spread the cheer throughout your home! The trick to making your holiday décor feel like home is to insert your personal style into the details, but if you need some tips to get you started, consider the following:
- Decorate to a theme: Match the design of your tree to effortlessly create a consistent look across the home. My Jaclyn Smith Collection at Kmart extends beyond the tree, so you can find great decorations for everything from the bannister to the tabletop.
- The entry way isn’t just for mistletoe: Nothing warms my heart like a kiss under the mistletoe, but don’t discount your doorway – it’s the entrance to your holiday fun! One easy way to dress up the door is a simple wreath. If you want to go the extra mile, add some greenery or lights to the porch columns and railings.
- Top your table with a gorgeous centerpiece: While the tree is the heart of the holiday home, the table is the focal point of your dining room. Try something like a table top bristle deer or small snowy tree, use wide ribbon as a table runner and even scatter shatterproof ornaments down the center. Finish it off with some natural elements like pinecones or pine branches trimmed from your tree or wreath.
- Present wrapped under the tree… in style!: Pretty up your presents by attaching ornaments or bells, and consider using wrapping paper and ribbons that match your tree for a cohesive look.
- Trim up the windowsills and mantles: Turn a bare windowsill or mantel into a stylish display with ease by filling glass jars of varying shapes and sizes with leftover bulbs for a dramatic, high-impact display.
Ultimately, the holiday is about you and your family, so have fun with it! Go with your gut and personalize it for your unique traditions. And once the work is done, don’t forget to enjoy it with your loved one. The holidays are truly the most wonderful time of the year. Make memories you’ll cherish. Kmart carries the supplies you need to create a merry atmosphere in any home. Shop in-store or online at Kmart.com.
By: Jaclyn Smith