DIY Dresser: From Drab to Fab

 

Hello, and thank you to Farah for inviting me onto her blog today! My name is Haneen of Haneen’s Haven, and I’m so happy to be here sharing a DIY of how I went about turning this $50 thrifted dresser from drab to fab using only paint! The transformation is amazing, and this ugly thing turned out to be quite a show-stopper in my dining room makeover.

For starters, here’s a look at the dresser as I bought it…

I loved the scale, I loved the curves. Heck, I even loved the tacky hardware. Although frankly, with new paint on the dresser, I find the hardware to be far from tacky! Here’s the after…

So, where did this all begin? We’ve had an 84 inch niche in our dining room that was always meant for a buffet of sorts. We just never had anything in it! So once I started a dining room makeover, I knew I wanted to find a piece that filled this space and provided some good storage. This old dresser fit the bill! Sure, I could’ve purchased something new, but I was intrigued by this piece’s “ugly duckling” kind of beauty. I love a good challenge, and I’m always a fan of saving some money!

Let’s get to the good stuff. I started by lightly sanding the entire piece, and then wiping it down with a damp washcloth. There was a small gouge or “ding” on the top of the dresser, so I bought this wood filler, scraped it over the hole, and sanded that as well.

Next, I removed all of the drawers and made sure to label each of them inside the drawers so I knew exactly where to return it. What I mean by that is, for example, I wrote “TR” inside a drawer with a pencil if it was the “top right” drawer. May seem silly, but sometimes, especially with old pieces of furniture, drawers fit specifically where they’re suppose to go. Otherwise you may have a hard time opening and closing them. I did the same thing when I removed the hardware, just in case the holes were slightly off. Here’s “middle right” …

Next came the priming…

Once the priming was done, it was time to paint! I chose Benjamin Moore’s Chrome Green. It’s one of their exterior colors, and I was really drawn to the deep rich hue. All of the detail in this dresser made it very tricky to reach and cover well. I used a paintbrush, a four-inch roller, and a tiny brush for the crevices. It took some coats, but overall it went well. I taped the floor because the piece was just too heavy to lift and put something under it for floor protection.

dr10.jpg

I’m thrilled with the outcome and I hope it inspires you to give life to an old piece you may have lying around your house! Thank you again to Farah for having me today! Please visit my blog at www.haneens-haven.com for a full reveal of my dining room makeover, complete with details behind it all and 30+ photos of this dining room!

Cheers!

Haneen


Haneen's Haven

Haneen's Haven

Website

Instagram


Share